Baking during the Christmas season with your family is a fun activity, especially if it involves cookies!
These sugar cookies are the perfect balance between chewy and buttery that you need in your life.
*This recipe makes 24 cookies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (3 minutes). Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat until incorporated and the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half; place each half on a silicone baking mat or large piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Cover dough with parchment paper or plastic wrap and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes and transfer cookies to the prepared pans, about 1 inch apart. Re-roll and cut-out remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until cookies are no longer shinny (color wonâ€™t change much).
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then carefully move cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week (or in the freezer for up to 3 months).
For more information visit www.azcentral.com.