Are you looking for an app that will help you improve your child’s speech skills at home?
If so, you’re in for a treat!
We have tested dozens of apps to compile our list of the top 3 speech apps in 2020 that are effective, easy to use, and most importantly, fun for your kids.
Articulation Station, from Little Bee Speech, is the most comprehensive articulation app designed to make learning fun for children.
It offers six engaging exercises to practice 22 sounds at the word, sentence, and story level:
- Flashcards: use over 1,200 pictures to practice sounds.
- Matching game: match similar items while practicing sounds.
- Unique sentences: use words in new sentences to earn points.
- Rotating sentences: rotate words in fixed sentences while practicing sounds.
- Level 1 stories: enjoy short and silly rhymes that come with comprehension questions and picture prompts.
- Level 2 stories: enjoy more creative stories with comprehension questions.
What we love most about this app is that you can tailor the experience to your child’s needs by creating your own flashcards with custom images.
Splingo is the most interactive app on the market. It offers children a way to develop their speech skills by playing a fun game with aliens and spaceships.
The main focus of the app is to teach children how to pronounce nouns, verbs, prepositions, and adjectives, and how to use them in sentences.
It breaks down the content into four groups that are appropriate for children of different ages:
- Level 1: Appropriate for kids with a developmental level of eighteen-months-old. The focus is on using one main word.
- Level 2: Appropriate for kids with a developmental level of two to three-years-old. The focus is on using two main words.
- Level 3: Appropriate for kids with a developmental level of three to four-years-old. The focus is on using three main words.
- Level 4: Appropriate for kids with a developmental level of four-years-old or older. The focus is on using four main words.
If you’re looking for an app that will entertain your kid while helping him improve his speech, Splingo is where your search ends.
LAMP Words for Life, from Prentke Romich Company, is designed to improve the speech skills of children with autism using Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP).
Children can choose to practice at three vocabulary levels:
- Introductory: practice 83 words containing virtually all sounds.
- Transition: take their practice to the next level with 1,000 words.
- Full vocabulary: maximize their vocabulary with access to over 3,000 words.
What makes this app stand out is that it provides a consistent motor pattern for words and a systematic way to develop communication skills.
It uses a symbol-based approach that is appropriate not only for children who are just starting to communicate, but also for older kids with autism who have advanced language skills.
On the Apple Store, LAMP Words for Life is the highest-rated app in its category. Based on what we’ve seen so far, we agree.